american chains overseas

Big bear.
What NOT to get Jonah for Christmas.

You might have heard the buzz about Costco’s big bears. They’ve arrived in Mexico too. Jonah’s not exactly a fan.

Yes, we have Costco here, and yes, we’re members. We never joined stateside, but here they carry some products you can’t find elsewhere, so we caved.

It’s hard to feel sorry for our “hardship” of living overseas given the existence of a Costco in our post of assignment, isn’t it? We would have killed for one when we were in Benin. And this Costco happens to be right across the street from a swanky mall with an Outback, a PF Chang’s, a Cheesecake Factory, and any American clothing store you might want, too. And it’s just one of many swanky malls in town.

We’re trying to steer clear of American chains as much as possible, because we didn’t move overseas to live  like we would have back home, but I’m not going to lie — it’s nice to have the option to visit familiar places from time to time.

Although I maintain that living without a Trader Joe’s still constitutes some level of hardship.

What American store do you miss most?

This entry was posted in FS Life, Mexico. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to american chains overseas

1. Paul says:

Well, we’re not living abroad yet, but hopefully soon. I think what my wife and I will miss most is a good beer store . . .

2. Tracy says:

I’d kill for a Costco here in Amman! But if I had to pick one store I miss, hands down it’s Target. I seriously dream of “one stop” shopping. And just knowing that when you go somewhere you are sure to find exactly what it was you needed. Instead it’s “Of course the home goods store downtown has a curtain rod.” Hours later of searching for parking, pantomiming what a curtain rod is, and visiting 4 different stores – no curtain rod. Target has curtain rods. And nice big parking lots. I miss that!

3. lynne says:

Cheddar cheese, I dream of you. As well as hotdogs. I paid $15 for a pound of bacon and carried it home from a business trip and I don’t even eat the pig (hubs does. I am a good wife).

Haha, I can made questionable purchases at the one decent grocery store in Benin when I was pregnant ($20 for Ben & Jerry’s?). It’s totally weird being overseas but somewhere I can still buy pretty much everything! I’ll enjoy it will I can…

Target would come in a close second to Trader Joe’s for me, but I’m a lazy cook so TJ’s is really a life saver. Why haven’t these stores gone global yet? Our commercial service folks need to get on this! 🙂

I’m not a beer drinker myself, but I’ve never heard any complaints about the beer selections overseas, not even in Benin! So maybe there’s hope for you… 🙂