170th a-100

I’m joining the 170th A-100 class. You read that right. More than two years after landing on the register, I am finally joining the Foreign Service.

It seemed like everything was all set back in October when I received my new medical clearance, but when we told the Powers That Be that I was ready to be called for A-100, we learned there was still one more hurdle to get over. Did you know that your final suitability clearance expires after two years? No? Neither did we! And to get your final suitability clearance renewed, you have to get your security clearance updated, even if you have an active security clearance that is valid for three more years.

So we frantically went to work getting my security clearance updated, knowing that invitations to the January class could go out at any time. Thanks to the efforts of some great colleagues on all ends of the process, my updated clearance came in just in time for a late invitation.

What’s next? I’ll head back to Washington the second week of January to prepare for the start of A-100 on January 14. Sadly, Alex, Flynn and Abbey will have to stay here. I’ll miss them, but we’re hoping in the long run this will be the right decision to get us posted somewhere together. It feels like we’ve overcome quite a few obstacles already. With just one more big one left, we’re optimistic we’ll be able to overcome that too.

This entry was posted in Tandem Issues and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to 170th a-100

1. Abby says:

Alright! Neo and I will book our plane tickets to DC!

@Abby, as of now you might have to sleep on the metro because Andy doesn’t have a place to live. And the metro’s not even open all night.

3. Linda Radecki says:

Congratulations Andy!!

4. Quelle Belle says:

N & I have been talking about going to a skating meet in Maryland in March. Having Andy in DC pretty much seals the deal!

5. Caitlin says:

I look forward to welcoming you to the start of the 170th! You’re going to have more elbow room in the famous A-100 classroom than the last two classes did, lucky dog (not you, Abby!).
    Safe travels and I look forward to meeting you soon.
    -CBH

6. Jeff says:

Andy, congrats on starting your own Foreign Service adventure! Please let us know when you’re in town.

7. Anne says:

I wondered if this was the big news. Congratulations!

8. Natasha says:

Congratulations! One of my friends in San Salvador will also be joining the January class (he is/was an EFM). Good luck with tandem life!

9. Sadie says:

YAY! Congratulations! I hope all goes well for matching up with the rest of the family. Best of luck with bidding!

10. Brooke says:

Congrats!! This is such great news :)

Congrats, Andy! I hope with all my heart the Career Development Gods put you two together!!! Enjoy A-100!

12. Lynne says:

I’ve been following you guys for a while now and now that you’re officially joining, and I actually passed the language test that means I will, for real, one day join too, I may start to look like I stalker. I promise that I’m non-violent :-) Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you!! (and thanks for the tip about the FSR, I’ll hit that problem too)

13. Bfiles says:

I missed this! Congrats, andy! The jan class is a great one, lots of opportunities for you. Oh wow, i am eager to see how it all works out. Good luck and enjoy a-100!

14. STMemory says:

I know this is belated, but congrats!!! As one tandem couple to another, I’m rooting for you guys. I hope the time apart isn’t too long and that you get posted together as soon as possible. Bonne chance!