bidding by number

At long last we submitted 30 bids for our second post in this Foreign Service adventure.

Our bids include:

• 17 cities
  • 14 countries
  • 6 continents
  • 7 bids on the same city
  • 3 bids that would include living in NYC for four months
  • 13 bids that would give this tandem thing a decent shot of working
  • 2 bids that would allow Flynn to keep up with his French
  • 4 bids that wouldn’t allow us to bring Abbey
  • 10 places you would love to visit
  • 4 places no one in their right mind would visit

They do not include:

• 2 cities that would have been perfect for us, and that both Andy’s DC oncologist and the Regional Medical Officer stationed there said have the facilities Andy needs, but that the Medical Clearances Department still refused to consider for us

If past experience is any indication, we should learn our fate in a week and a half. Fingers crossed.

This entry was posted in FS Life. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to bidding by number

1. Al says:

Good luck – the week and a half between bidding and getting assigned were actually one of my favorite times. I loved the excitement of all the various places I might get assigned (Budapest! Rome! Berlin! Rio!) without really looking at any of the downsides – for example, Frankfurt has me living on a compound again 🙁

Anyway, good luck. Last year, everyone I know who bid at 20% hardship got something in their top 10 (except one guy from Manila who got his 14th pick).

Al

Haha… I guess our pessimistic nature is coming out, because unlike you being excited about all the possibilities, we’re fearing all the worst case scenarios.

But we’d be thrilled with anything on our top 10, so your observations are reassuring! =)

3. Frans Wiggers says:

Tonight at midnight I will dance naked three times around the cherry tree in front of my house (ask Nathan). Whatever the end result of your bidding process, it will be the direct outcome of my magical intervention. 🙂

Quick! Take Brussels off your list. I hear Frans has started dancing naked in his yard again.

5. Dani says:

Oh wow, sounds stressful, but at least it’s done and now it’s just that crazy waiting game. I agree with Al, that’s a nice period when you can just dream without having to strategize or plan. I can still perfectly recall my husband sitting up in bed, staring at his crackberry, saying “It’s Delhi” with this tone of incredulity when we got that fateful email. We weren’t thrilled when we first got our assignment (there were some really amazing job/locations on our list that-unlike India- were in places we’d never been to before) but now we’re more excited than I ever thought we’d be. Wherever you go, I’m sure it will be wonderful–or you being there will make it so.

6. Mara Rae says:

Wow, seven bids on the same city! I’m intrigued to see what this second-post list looks like… I have my fingers crossed you guys get your top choice 🙂

7. Kelly says:

Good luck!!!! I’ll take that “no one in their right mind would want to visit” bet! This may be too little too late, but if my former study abroad location made it back into consideration, we should chat a) if it ended up happening (guessing unlikely, given the language and the size) b) if you are considering it again in the future……

8. Lynne says:

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear where you end up 🙂

9. bfiles says:

fingers crossed for you guys. any day now…