flashback

You may recall that we were still sorting out what exactly I would do while Andy stayed in D.C. for chemo. Well, that’s been resolved — this week I started work at a temporary assignment at Main State. In fact, I’m in the same office where I worked about a year ago this time for a few months before Mr. Flynn came along. A lot of the same people are still there too. It’s been an easy transition.

I feel very lucky that both post and the Africa Bureau have been so understanding and accommodating about making this happen. They very well could have ordered me back on a plane to Benin pronto. In fact, they could have never let me come to D.C. with Andy for his tests in the first place. But they did, and I think that says a lot about recent efforts to make the State Department more family friendly.

It’s funny — today there was a post on the Sounding Board, the State Department’s virtual “suggestion box,” about the difficulty of the medevac process. Perhaps I’m jinxing things because we’re still in the middle of it, but so far we’ve found the process very transparent and everyone we’ve worked with understanding and accomodating. Is our experience unique?

Our biggest problem at the moment is that Flynn’s found a new favorite toy: my State Department ID. Can baby slobber and two tiny teeth demagnetize a State badge? I’ll let you know.

This entry was posted in FS Life. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to flashback

1. Becky says:

Oh awesome! I am so glad that it has worked out as smoothly as possible. I hope things continue to go well.

2. Jill says:

Glad to hear that all is working out in the end!

3. Jen says:

I’m not sure if it is situation-dependent, but I do know that within 2 days of receiving my diagnosis, Peter walked into our house. He was in Iraq at the time I called him (midnight Friday night) and was home at 6:45 a.m. Monday morning. I can’t say anything but good things about the way we were assisted by the Department during that time. From his trip home to his curtailment to a new assignment, we were give the support we needed when we needed it.

4. Sadie says:

Awesome!! I was hoping you’d be able to do something like this! Hope it continues going well…

5. CC says:

I’m so glad you got a good assignment and get to be here with Andy during this time! My CDO came through for me and has found me a bridge assignment as well for when I’m in DC for treatment.

And I would love to get together and have coffee when I’m in DC (I should arrive next week). I can’t figure out how to email you privately either.

6. STMemory says:

Just catching up on your posts. So glad you were able to find a TDY in DC for this time. Best wishes to Andy with treatment.