santa in benin

I’ll admit I was feeling a little down over the last few weeks as I saw Santa picture after Santa picture take over my Facebook news feed. It’s hard to be away from family and from the United States in general during the Christmas season, especially when you’re  somewhere that flip flops and summer dresses are appropriate attire. No snow, no pine trees, no peppermint hot chocolate. It just doesn’t feel very Christmas-y. And to make matters worse, poor Flynn wouldn’t even get to have a Santa picture from his very first Christmas.

Well, guess what!

I was out grocery shopping yesterday at Erevan, the giant supermarket I’ve written about before, and what did I find? Santa! Flynn was home with Andy, but I high tailed it out of there immediately to fetch him. Back at Erevan, we produced this beauty, which is possibly the most amazing first Santa picture there ever was, if I do say so myself:

Foreign Service friends, can you compete? If we stick with this career path I imagine there will be many more non-traditional milestone pictures to come.

This entry was posted in Benin, Holiday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to santa in benin

1. Traci says:

Most. fabulous. Santa. picture. ever.

From the expression on Flynn’s face to the expression on Santa’s. I just laughed so hard I scared the cat.

Santa fulfills the wish list once again.

3. Camille says:

That’s the coolest Santa I’ve EVER seen.

4. Anne H. says:

Best Santa photo EVER!

5. bfiles says:

that is fabulous.

6. Mara says:

You don’t know me, but I just had to comment on this photo! My husband just joined the foreign service and we got the bid list last week. I’m kind of freaking out, so my sister (in an attempt to calm me) sent me your blog. She said something along the lines of, “these people seem to be in the middle of nowhere and they’re surviving.” I have to say this photo definitely gave me the laugh I needed! I read your most recent post too – I’m very sorry to hear about your husband, but I’m glad things are as good as they can be under the circumstances. Thanks again for providing a little levity when I really needed it!