in benin

Monday evening my cell phone rang.

My boss: Hi there. How are you settling in?

Me: Very well, thanks! Everyone’s been really great about showing us around town. We visited the beach, went to a few grocery stores and went out to dinner. And we’ve made a good dent on our unpacking too.

My boss: And you’ll get to do even more unpacking tomorrow!

Me: Wait, what? Am I mixed up about what day it is? Today is Monday, right? Benin’s Independence Day? And I go back to work tomorrow?

My boss: Well, yes, that was the original plan, but the government decided to declare tomorrow a holiday too, so we all have another day off.

* * *

A half day of work on Friday followed by a four-day weekend? I could get used to life here (although I’m sure this weekend is spoiling me for the future).

So… yes, we all survived the long journey to Cotonou and are settling in well. The short version of the story: Our house is amazing, people are super friendly and helpful, and the city is nicer and more developed than we expected. More details later when our Internet situation isn’t so dicey.

This entry was posted in Benin. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to in benin

1. Linda says:

So glad that you arrived safely. Looking forward to all of your new adventures.

2. Becky says:

Good luck with settling in. It sounds like things have gone pretty well so far. That’s awesome!

3. uncle jerry says:

what a wonderful article. you guys are really great. i can’t believe what great adventures you are going to have. all i have to say is WOW. if there is anything you guys need or want to know or ANYTHING please let us know. even if it means we have to go where you are.
    uncle jerry & aunt phyllis.

Yey, you made it! Can’t wait to hear more and see pictures…

Great work week. Here’s hoping they discover some other holidays.

6. Bfiles says:

glad you made it safe and sound! what a great introduction! and how nice of the boss to call personally. good luck settling in!

7. Stmemory says:

Glad you made it! A 4 day weekend sounds like an excellent way to get over any lingering jet lag and start your time there.