not yet born and already grounded

I’m sorry to say that I’ve become kind of a jerk.

Today on our way to the doctor’s office a new mom entered the elevator with her baby in tow.

“Aww, he’s so cute,” everyone else gushed. “How old is he?”

“Four days,” the proud mother replied.

Rather than joining the oohing and ahhing that ensued, I shot Andy a glare. He knew exactly what I meant: that could be me. I could have a four-day-old baby by now. But no, I don’t. And I’m awfully grumpy about it. I’m mad at Andy. I’m mad at Abbey. I’m mad at the baby. He’s not yet born and already getting lectures about his behavior.

Rationally I know it’s much more likely for a first baby to come late than early, and yes, my baby is only a day late at this point, which hardly gives me the right to complain. But patience is not among my strengths. (You’re lucky I didn’t have this blog while I was waiting for my security clearance. Trust me, it wasn’t pretty.)

The good news is that I won’t have to wait much longer. My doctor plans to induce on Monday if the baby hasn’t come on his own by then. Six days. I’m sure if will feel like an eternity (and I’m sure I’ll fit more complaining into that time than one could possibly imagine, Andy would like to add), but all things considered six days isn’t so bad.

By mid-next week I’ll be the new mom on the elevator with her coo-worthy son. The only difference between me and that woman I saw today? I doubt I’ll be carrying the kid myself. I think it’s Andy’s turn.

This entry was posted in Baby, Personal and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to not yet born and already grounded

1. Camille says:

I was five days overdue with mine and I wanted to kill him. But then he arrived and I forgot all about it 🙂

Are you even close? Dilated? Effaced? Nothing?

I’ll carry him.

3. Nomads By Nature says:

Go out to the movies. Go out and have a lovely dinner or lunch. Have a date night each night and enjoy this moment too. It will pass. Looking forward to that photo of your little one!

4. Becky says:

Hang in there. Those days last forever. I hope he makes his grand entrance soon.

Oh, I hope he comes before the planned induction date! Tomorrow is a great day for example – I’d love to share my birthday with your little one! Fingers crossed!!!

6. Bfiles says:

Thinking of you and wishing a quick and safe delivery! hope he comes soon too, but yes, try to enjoy the calm before the sweet baby storm. best wishes!!

7. Assuming the little one still hasn’t arrived, I’ll just join in and urge you to enjoy this time. But I know what you mean. When a girlfriend of mine who’d gotten pregnant before I did, actually gave birth before me, I was fit to be tied. I wept. I actually sat down and wept. It seemed so unfair that she’d started after me and already had her baby in her arms. After I finished weeping, I went and drew myself a warm bath. That was the recommended remedy. Take a nice long, warm bath. It both relaxes and encourages the contractions to start coming. Well, they did. That very night. And by morning, my second one had arrived! So be happy. Your little fellow will soon be here, but until he does, enjoy the moments …