hurry up and wait

Ah, spring. That special time of year when the snow has melted, the birds are singing and… we’re left wondering what in the world we’re going to do for the next 10 months in Arlington, Virginia.

We were thrilled to be posted to Benin, but we were a little surprised to find out that we were not to leave until next March. When we moved to Arlington, I was very much in temporary mode. No need to decorate, we won’t be here long. A blender seems unnecessary, especially for so short a time. Buying salt is silly when I can just get a few little packets at McDonald’s to get us through the next two months.

But now that we know we’re destined to call Virginia home until next spring, things have changed. We’re researching weekend trips for this summer. I’m excited to see the Tigers play in Baltimore the last week of the baseball season.

And I bought a bag of flour at the grocery store last week, so you know we’re in it for the long haul.

This entry was posted in FS Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to hurry up and wait

1. Harvey says:

Wow! That’s a surprise…

I follow your blog because I hope to do FS some day as well.

Hey so what will you actually be doing in Virginia for… almost a year?? Do they put you to work? Do you get more training? Is there anything for the unemployed spouse to do such as taking classes at FSI or something?

Thanks for your input this is a great blog.

2. David L. says:

Filling that gap is a large part of my I started blogging. Fortunately, there is a lot to do in this region at no cost. That is, as long as you are into museums, monuments and civil war battlefields. But don’t worry, it will go faster than you think, and Alex will appreciate having so long to learn French.

3. Bridget says:

Wow, that is a long time! I thought French language was only 6 mos max? I guess you add other training on top of it? I thought only people learning S/CNLs stayed that long. You will be very ready to leave the cold in March! But in the meantime, it is a great city/region for all seasons (it’s my hometown), hope you will enjoy.

4. Andy says:

Bridget – The French training is six months, but Alex has a lot of other training too. She could probably answer in better detail, but I think because it is a small embassy (relatively speaking) she is going to be a back up to the consular officer if the need arises, so she needs to be trained in that in addition to her specific job.

I’ve hit a lot of the museums but am saving the rest for when my family visits. The big meatball hanging out there for me is whether I can get in the full French training class. Right now I’m registered for July, but they said I could get bumped – and with how full I’ve heard the classes are, I am not going to count my poulets until they’ve hatched.

Over the course of ten months, you might even end up needing more than your four plates.

6. Oh, Andy, I hope you don’t get bumped! That would be too awful. I hope you get into French class, too!

That’s my biggest fear: that we’ll get a language-designated post but that the language won’t have space for ME! I think I would have to just DIE.

Ooohh… **crossing fingers for you**

7. Bridget says:

crossing fingers for you, too, Andy! I loved Alex’s post about what she’ll be doing!

8. jill says:

Your title pretty much summed up life in the FS! Best of luck on learning French and staying sane for the next 10 months!

Of course, I say that knowing that I’ll be in the same sanity boat in about 2 months as we transition temporarily back to the US while my husband does an unaccompanied tour!